Knickerbocker Glories

When I was little I can remember how I loved my favourite aunt visiting from Wales. She would take me out on shopping trips and we would go out for lunch - often to a hamburger restaurant as a treat.....this was in the days when hamburgers were still quite a novelty and would be served on a plate with a knife and fork as opposed to being wrapped in paper. This same restaurant also served knickerbocker glories.....which I never ever got to eat...possibly because they were almost half my size. I vowed to myself that when I grew up I would eat them every week, possibly more than once.

Of course, I never actually did.....and that particular restaurant chain no longer exists. My aunt (who remains my favourite aunt) must have taken turns taking my younger brother out because strangely he has a very similar recollection!!

I found this verse today which really reminded me of that memory.....

"Animal crackers, and cocoa to drink,
That is the finest of suppers, I think;
When I'm grown up and can have what I please
I think I shall always insist upon these."
Christopher Morley

4 comments:

  1. I had my first English knickerbocker glories back in (egad!!!) 1974 when we were in London passing through to live in South Africa. Scrumptous!!!!!
    I still miss everything English & all those years at English run schools left me so miserable when we returned to the States. Knickerbocker glories sounds far more delectable than sundae...and American Cadbury isnt the same.
    By the by I love your package blitz of Vickis book (mentioned & linked on Mimi...) I love giving for no occasion.
    You rule!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this verse is just the sweetest, Happy weekend, xv.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the lovely comments Alicia and Vicki :)

    Alicia.....I think we are kindred spirits!! LOL
    I moved from Wales to London in 1972 and it probably would have been 1974-6 that I was dreaming of my knickerbocker glory future! There is nothing like Cadburys chocolate, you are right.....there are many more expensive and exotic brands, goodness knows I have tried enough of them (!) but Cadburys is just so good.
    Lovely to hear from you.....I had another look at your blog today, I just love your red "amuse-bouche" post.....GORGEOUS!!

    Happy Week-end,
    Simone :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember eating these in England as a child. My grandfather lived in Norfolk and we used to visit from the States during the summers.

    I moved from the US to Wales in 2004-2006.

    ReplyDelete

« »
Related Posts with Thumbnails

The Bottom of the Ironing Basket All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger