When in Rome....



St Peter's...the jewel in Rome's crown....


Sophia Loren and Daniel Day-Lewis in "Nine", set in 1960's Rome....




A great shot of Castel Sant-Angelo and the Arno....


The Trevi  Fountain is so stunning that I think it is just impossible to capture its beauty on camera.....nestled amongst narrow streets, you turn a corner and it's there right in front of you.....an exquisite and breathtaking work of true passion....its size is just incredible....




The view of the basilica of St Peter's.....just wonderful....



The clarity and colour of the Sistine Chapel is amazing....


The Spanish Steps....



Marcello Mastroanni....in one of his most famous and iconic movies, Fellini's "La Dolce Vita"....when the famous Roman actor died in 1996, the Trevi Fountain was swathed in black fabric and the water stopped as the city mourned....

 


The Pantheon....still the world's largest unreinforced concrete dome....


The Colosseum....


...and inside the Colosseum....

Rachel is a designer who, with her husband, moved to Rome last year....she writes a blog about her life in Rome.....Inspiration in Italy... every day it is full of the most beautiful images of the city.....I have yet to read it and not wished that I was living there!



Seeing "Nine" last week once again reminded me how beautiful Rome is....it is impossible not to fall in love with such a vibrant and stylish city where around every corner is yet another stunning sight and where history seems to ooze from every brick.

My first ever trip to Italy was when I was 19....I was spending a year studying in France and during our half-term break, we took the train to Italy where we spent three days each in Venice, Rome and Florence - we had an amazing time. Florence was the city I loved most during that trip and it wasn't really until my next trip
to Rome, many years later with my husband, that I really fell in love with Rome...although bizarrely, on that trip my husband hurt his back and I spent most of the time exploring the city alone. On our most recent trip, my children were 18mths and 5 - and the airline lost not only our travelcot but also our buggy which made for an interesting and challenging trip!!

Rome is a very easy city to get around and if you have a pretty good sense of direction, you can easily find your bearings. I love to walk around cities rather taking public transport if possible, I think you get a real feel of the city and also you have much more chance of stumbling upon hidden gems and buildings that you might otherwise miss. The Romans are beautiful people, dark haired, dark-skinned, proud, expressive and extremely well dressed - Rome is honestly the only city where I have ever felt under-dressed! My husband (who is Italian but born in England) always says that you can tell a Roman immediately - there is definitely a real glamour and a drama about them.

My favourite piazza in Rome is Piazza Navona, perfect for people watching and where Borromini and Bernini's famous sculptures are found. You could spend your whole visit exploring the Vatican museums such is the wealth of art on display, it is just astonishing. St Peter's Cathedral is again one of those sights that really has to be seen to be really appreciated - it is so vast and so beautiful that you almost can't describe it, visiting it is truly an amazing experience. On our last trip we rented an apartment just seconds from the Trevi fountain....a sight so beautiful that it almost moved me to tears the first time I saw it. It is also the home of the best ice cream I have ever had :)

Maybe it's time to look at flights to Rome again....

Buongiorno e baci....

39 comments:

  1. Fellini's 8 1/2 is a great movie.I haven't seen "Nine", but i think i will see it very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to live in Rome and I completely agree with you on Nine. The music, the women, the cars! The beauty of hte city! I used to live by the coloseum so would take the bus and drive right past it...ahhh, the vita was bella:) Seeing it again through the movie really brought me back.Thanks for refreshing my memory once more. x LZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post makes me wanna book a trip right now today. Woa Italy is beautiful. I've never been there but I long to go there one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This definitely makes me want to book a trip right now also and to see the movie, Nine. Beautiful post and photos, Simone! Have a beautiful week! :) xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures!!!!! Sophia Loren still looks amazing!

    XX Nicky :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rome with an 18 month old and no buggy: now I really have to admire that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Simone .... ROME. The romance, the ruins, the culture, the passion. What more can we ask for on a grey monday ?
    An amazing city. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rome - someday, I hope. So much history, so much beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an absolutely beautiful and romantic city!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope to go to Europe someday. Rome sounds beautiful. Haven't seen Nine yet. We need to have a Girl's Night Out for it because my husband certainly won't be seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I ache for Italy! My blog started because of Italy and Roma is just amazing. My first big overseas trip was Italy and Austria October 2008 at the age of 37! I just cannot wait to get back there, for those contemplating, just do it. It will change your life forever...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Rome and am so happy to see your post. We need more stories about Italy...it is such a beautiful country. France is wonderful but Italy....ah, now that is where the real love story begins..Florence, Venice, Siena..Tuscany..bellissimo!
    Wonderful post Simone!
    Jeanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My last time in Rome was with our eldest when she was 9 months old... I can only imagine the havoc with no buggy ... lots of hand gestures by the parent not holding the baby I would imagine ;-) Ciao for now bella!

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS - just now got back from your Lovely London town... worth a blog post or two your exciting city is too !

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so beautiful! I hooe to visit myself some day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with you Simone ... my most favourite city in the world!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want to go right now! I love her blog, she's got some amazing pictures but I like these too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have spent time in Florence and Vincenza and I am over the moon for Italy. There is no place like it. Sea Witch

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the very big drool this morning Simone! I told MOTH you'd seen Justine on the Pommie telly & he went all gooey.
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Simone~
    These images are SO Beautiful! I have never been there. I can't seem to break out of Paris...but this just may be the moment~~ Thank you for sharing stunning ROME!!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  21. One of my dream vacations Simone ~ I love all these shots and you commentary. Maybe I can fly over and we can go together as I know you would be the absolute best tour guide! I know what you mean about walking around ~ I loved doing this in New York especially when we got down around Little Italy and Chinatown!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rome is a favourite of mine too. The people are sooooo lovely there too. Our very first meal ever in Rome was in Piazza Navona, so it remains very special for that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can't wait to go to Rome! It is such a beautiful city! Than you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. There ae no words! I want to visit so badly..my father is there and retired back there from california 5 years ago. growing up he always said he wanted to go back to italy,,and now he is there..someday soon i will see him again..lulu

    ReplyDelete
  25. Honey, you just put a huge smile on my face! Not only is this post so incredibly dear to my heart, but what a pleasant surprise to see your lovely mention of me and kind words. Thank you Simone!

    Now, that photo of the Castel Sant-Angelo is truly gorgeous, and you are so right about the Trevi Fountain. It is nearly impossible to capture it's beauty on camera. I also thought it was heart-stoppingly gorgeous and night and so I assumed a night view was the most dreamy, and then we passed by the Trevi over the weekend and the daylight view took my breath away as well! :) Also the Pantheon is one of my most favourite places, just awesome.

    So true about direction, I was actually pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to navigate here. Although the city is so intense, getting around is pretty simple! Also I LOVE dressing up here and I told my husband that this is the first time in my life when I really feel like I can finally dress up every day and not feel over-dressed. California is just too relaxed in comparison. :) It is a joy to dress up here.

    Loved everything you had to say here - seems that you are eternally connected to Italy of course and especially Rome! Come visit! I'm sure I could learn a lot from you, a lot about Italy in general! :)
    xoxoxo
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love love love yr blog
    http://pinacoladakisses.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Rome takes me back to one of my favourite memorable visit.

    The GUILTY HYENA †

    ReplyDelete
  28. I feel like I just took a trip to Rome and I didn't even have to change out of my PJs!

    The pictures are glorious and inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have to see Nine. It looks stunning. I went to Italy in 2008 and absolutely adored it. I think my favorite place I traveled to was Florence, but Rome was spectacular. I remember how blown away I was sitting on the Spanish Steps :-)

    I love your blog, and just became a follower. Would you like to exchange links?

    pixiedrivein.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOVE these amazing pics. And Sophia Loren is a timeless icon.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I see we share the same passion for Rome :-). Thank you for such a wonderful post. I am so delighted that Rachel of Inspiration In Italy introduced me to your Blog - it looks so beautiful and I am looking forward to reading more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Came over from Rachel's blog. You've both inspired me to seriously get planning my long desired Italian getaway!! Gorgeous post.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Simone, this blog is a feast for the senses! The first time I was in Rome was when I was nine. We were there for three months and every morning my dad and I would wake up before everyone else to go and explore the city. The second time I went I was 18. Surprisingly, very little had changed.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love that blog too and it just takes my breath away every time I see all of Rachels posts.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is such a gorgeous post on Rome, your photos are wonderful. Sounds like you had quite a trip, sorry your hubby had back troubles. Rachel is such a sweetie, her designs are fabulous.
    Sorry most of our emails got lost in space - it may have something to do with the fact that I'm not the most computer savvy girl around.
    Have a great week my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Simone, Rome is one of my favorite places in the world, I have been there many times and love it more and more each time I return with my family. I'm a designer in the NYC area so I always overdress and wear high heels so luckily I fit right in when in Rome. Your images are gorgeous. and your story about losing your buggy is one I can relate to. we have lost many strollers on our travels over the years while abroad. We even were given the wrong boarding passes to Ireland while we were suppose to be boarding a plane to Paris and then heading to Venice...It was crazy!! But Travel no matter what happens is always pure MAGIC.

    ReplyDelete
  37. You have an award to recieve over at my blog. Love, Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh the picture of The Trevi Fountain is so wonderful, moving even as an image.

    A really beautiful post darling, I so wish I was closer to everything...oh well.

    I saw our darling little Rachel here too, so sweet.

    Mmm they do have such style,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  39. Such wonderful pics, on an adorable post. I would love to visit Rome one day! Have a sweet day!

    ReplyDelete

« »
Related Posts with Thumbnails

The Bottom of the Ironing Basket All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger