Top 10 Tips For a Good Night's Sleep



I'm not a bad sleeper but I'm not a brilliant one either.
I'm not a late night person but seem to have developed an awful habit of staying up until past midnight.
I am aware that I don't get enough sleep & rarely wake feeling rested.
I also sometimes feel that since I've been a parent, I've never had a good night's sleep!

I'm aware that it's something I should think more about and so, in the interests of writing this piece, I read as much as I could about how to increase your sleep, sleep tips, your sleep environment.

There is certainly a lot of advice & information out there. 



I have taken information & tips from different websites, The Sleep Council & various magazines and come up with the following "Good Sleep Suggestions"....

1. Have a consistent sleeping & waking time - I read several times that sleeping in is in fact sometimes the worst thing you can do, your body will respond much better if you go to bed and get up at pretty much the same time each day. A "sleep schedule" is essential - this applies as much to adults as it does for children.

2. Create a bedtime ritual - try to stick to the same bedtime preparation each night. If you are able to take time getting ready for bed, your body will naturally wind down & will recognise that you are preparing to sleep.

3. Reduce screen time before bed - every website I looked at said to avoid technology in bed and not to have a television in the bedroom.
I will often be on my laptop reading or working until late at night & then read my iPad in bed even after I've turned out my light!

4. Create the right sleeping environment - a good comfortable bed and not too much clutter - see below for some more tips on this.

5. Pay attention to your caffeine intake - we all know people who can drink coffee late at night and still go straight to sleep - my own husband is one of them - but the recommendation is not to drink coffee after 8pm latest. If you like a hot drink late at night, choose hot milk or camomile tea.

6.   Temperature - both room temperature & body temperature. Your bedroom should not be too hot, the cooler the better. You also shouldn't have a hot bath right before bed as body needs to be at a particular (cooler) temperature to sleep soundly, a warm bath is best.

7. Keep your bedroom dark - I read lots of suggestions about light dimmers and different lighting settings in order to make your brain aware that sleep is approaching. Blackout curtains/blinds or a sleep mask are also a good idea in order to keep your body clock regular.

8. Switch Off - literally. Don't watch TV or work online up until you go to sleep....take sufficient time to wind down. Find an activity which helps you to relax before bedtime.

9. Good pillows - an essential as far as I am concerned & the biggest reason for not sleeping well!! If I go away & I can take my own pillow, then I do. That said, I do not have good pillows right now & it's driving me crazy. Pillows should be firm but not too firm and your head & neck should be roughly in a straight line.

10. Exercise promotes quality sleep & Only sleep when you're tired - there is nothing worse than going to bed early and then lying awake for hours. Exercise will help ensure that your body is physically tired and therefore ready for sleep. Do make sure that you don't exercise right before sleeping, have enough time to wind down.


Other Things I Learned :

For an adult, 7-9 hours of sleep is recommended each night - less than 6 hours a night is considered partial sleep deprivation.

Quality of sleep is just as important as quantity.

Creating a calm environment helps to ensure undisturbed sleep.... 
as does making sure you don't have children or pets in your bed with you :) 

Sleep/energy balance is really important - lack of sleep may disrupt appetite, promote greater food intake, reduce energy expenditure and change body composition to favour more fat storage.
Sleep deprivation can be linked to obesity.


Good Feng Shui Bedroom Tips

no TV, computer or exercise equipement in the bedroom
open the windows - good air quality is essential
have good lighting - candles are apparently even better
good paint colours - the best are "skin colours" - pale white to dark brown
choose images/pictures carefully - choose those which reflect happiness or things that you would like to have happening in your life
your bed should be approachable from both sides & should have space underneath it
all doors in the bedroom should be closed - this includes en-suite & cupboard doors.

I found some fabulous "10 Best Sleep Inducing Treats" here  - I often use Aromatherapy Associates essential oils and their Support Supersensitive Massage & Body Oil is a wonderfully relaxing and comforting product for night-time.

I also recently bought a mattress protector which provides an extra quilted layer underneath my sheets for comfort. 

Any sleep tips that you'd like to share? 


                                                      

7 comments:

  1. All good advice. I've started going to bed past midnight too now that my baby has started sleeping better. I just like the quiet time alone. I know I should sleep but it's worth it just for some me time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice! I always tell everyone that I haven't had a good nights sleep since I've been a parent, but in reality I have been an insomniac my whole life - my brain just won't turn off at times. I find that taking a nice relaxing bath and some tea help me quite a bit. Exercising or a day with alot of cleaning will do the job too! Have a fabulous week, Simone! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been a good sleeper and less than 8 hours makes me crabby - however like you I often stay up till near midnight writing stories on my computer or playing card games... consequently I'm knackered by the time I get to work.

    But tell you what missis, that Tempur pillow I won on your blog is terrific. On the nights I'm too tired even to remove the squishy pillow I used to use, I wake up with shoulder and leg ache. When I use only the Tempur, my head's aligned with my body and I wake up fine.

    One cat sleeps with us but is very accomodating, and moves when we push gently. The other cat sleeps in the clothes basket at the foot of the bed, so it's all very cosy!
    There's another tempur pillow on the market which is slightly banana shaped, so you can tuck the ends under your chin. It's too expensive to buy for me, (over £100), but sounds perfect. Recommend you try it.

    Nice post!
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm terrible at moment - because Lily is away at school I've been going to bed at 2am (transfixed by internet, what else?) and, equally, can't get up in the morning. Have aged 10 years. Argh. It's a huge act of self-discipline not to open up the laptop or the ipad or the iphone before bed. Managed 12.30am last night. Aiming for 11.30am tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a nutritionist, so I spotted a couple of gaps here - it's very important to keep the evening meal light and have dinner at least 2 hours before bed time. Some people may also find it useful to have some sources of tryptophan for their dinner (turkey, for example) and combine them with some carbs to improve tryptophan availability.

    Life-style-wise, it's also important to spend some time outdoors every time to improve levels of vitamin D and melatonin in the body because they are essential for healthy circadian rhythm.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is such a good read simone! i love reading all about how to have better sleep, because like you, i'm not that bad a sleeper but i could also be so so much better. i have changed a few things to my "sleep routine" like drinking cammomile before bed, trying to go to sleep at the same time every night and wake up at the same time every morning. it makes such a difference. i definitely need to stop the staying on the computer/ipad until the last second before bed but it's been a tough one haha.
    i used to have the worst nightmares and have THE WORST insomnia!!! it would drive me crazzzzyy! and it would lead into every aspect of my life - like food intake and stress levels etc. so it's been so nice to change a few things (surgery helped a lot haha since a lot of it was a direct result from my hyperactive thyroid) and get a better nights sleep. i used to never read too much into it all because i would think "im only 23 - who cares about sleeeeep at this age" haha. but it actually is a huge part of living a healthy life :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I knew most of these but what we know and what we do are 2 completely different things aren't they! I average 7 hrs a night ~ sometimes less. The week-ends I sleep usually an extra hour. Most nights both the animals are in bed with us ~ good thing we have a king!! Great post Simone ~ now to follow the rules. xo

    ReplyDelete

« »
Related Posts with Thumbnails

The Bottom of the Ironing Basket All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger