It Takes A Village....


I had no idea of the response that I was going to get when I wrote my parenting post last Friday.

It's a really hard thing to admit that things feel like they are going wrong, really wrong....
especially when you're talking about your own parenting & your family.

And sometimes when you're feeling unhappy or scared, it's difficult to know where to start when attempting to explain what the issues are. 

It prompted a huge wave of comments, emails & Facebook comments.....
all overflowing with genuine concern, support and understanding.

The kindness of people I've never met, wanting to help & make it better.

People shared many of their own experiences, some of which were very personal.

My post was about the struggles I am currently having with my 11 year old daughter....
it's been a pretty stressful situation - we're not just talking eye-rolling & refusing to wear a coat to school. I have been at my wit's end.
To say it's unfamiliar territory in our relationship would be an understatement.

I cannot even tell you how enormously helpful your replies, ideas, thoughts & suggestions were....
I was quite overwhelmed & it really took me the whole week-end to even begin to process it all.

I read all the responses over & over. And then again & again.

I am honestly so touched by everyone's concern, I cannot thank you enough.

you gave me another perspective
you gave me hope
you made me realise that you too had been in this situation - and survived
you told me that it was okay to ask for help

I have lots of thinking to do but I do feel more confident that we can somehow move forward.
I don't think that it will all be resolved overnight & it's not going to be easy or pain-free.
But....somehow, we'll get through it.

Thank you so so so much....
the saying is that it takes a village and last week-end was absolute proof of that.

       

7 comments:

  1. Darling Simone, I meant, seriously meant, to send you a long comment to your post. I read every comment the others left for you too. I had the MOST terrible time with my daughter during the pre-teen period. She went to a Sacred Heart school for girls, but the animosity, competitiveness, anger, emotions up & down, were not to be believed. We went from pediatrition all the way to PhD's phychologists, to testing. There was no answer.
    Finally, I realized what the answer was. Time. It's a phase, a cycle. All will be well. If it's clothes, let her wear whatever she wishes, within limits. Same for food, music, etc. For getting in with the "wrong" crowd, call all the mothers, express your concern, not about their daughters, but about the situations. That is what I did when I couldn't take another moment, my daughter sitting on the floor of a running shower crying her eyes out because Katie Parks didn't like her. PS, she & Katie became fast friends and still are to this day. Like wearing eye makeup...in the grand scheme of things does it really matter so much? I'm so happy for all the support you received from moms who have been there, done that. xx's

    ReplyDelete
  2. The old saying 'A problem shared is a problem halved' really does ring true sometimes. I know all the advice won't make the worry or problems disappear, but to know there are other friends (real and on-line) ready to listen and offer advice on their experiences, will help you through the tough times a little bit I hope. One day at a time. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I was reading all of your wonderful comments on your parenting post, I was thinking to myself that it really does "take a village" to raise a child. Alot of us have been in your shoes and know the heart wrenching pain of the teen and pre teen years - parenting skills are put to the test at that point. But like all the other ladies have said and I echo everything they have said - your daughter has a good head on her shoulders, but she's also testing the waters, trying to find out where she fits in and who her true friends are. It's heartbreaking at times as parents to see your children go thru this stage, but know that all will be well. Also don't be afraid to say NO if you think she's really in some dangerous territory! Sending you lots of love and hugs! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. We, here in Greece, have a saying: The most people, the merrier. It' a blessing to share"...
    I have a son at the same age of your daugher and can feel what you are saying.
    I send you all my love, support and carrying.
    Be patient and you'll take control!....

    Hugs!
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending lots of love Simone... xv

    ReplyDelete
  6. A BIG hug Simone for Tuesday Morning ;-)
    Catherine
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simone, I'm so happy to hear about all the warm, supportive comments you got. There's nothing better than taking a risk and being vulnerable and getting kindness in return!
    xo
    Leslie (Gwen Moss)

    ReplyDelete

« »
Related Posts with Thumbnails

The Bottom of the Ironing Basket All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger